Spring is absolutely the best time of year to have your pond cleaned. A pond cleaning (also called a cleanout) is something that we wholeheartedly believe in for most ponds every
spring. Here's a few points why:
1. Your pond has not fully woken up yet. What we mean by this is that the water temperature is likely under the 54 degree threshold for warm water beneficial bacteria to colonize. If your pond is cleaned after it warms up, you may suffer "new pond syndrome" and your pond may turn green for a few weeks.
2. It's raining outside. When it rains, and you have excess nutrient in your pond combined with a slow metabolism in your bacteria colony, the nitrogen in the atmosphere attaches to rain, and your pond is now fertilized. It's likely to respond with green water.
3. Pond cleaning is good for your plant life. Pond plants like to be pruned back and early spring pruning encourages growth. This new growth removes the very same nutrient from the water that algae needs to survive. Basically, the bigger plant out-competes the smaller plant (algae) for food, and algae cannot thrive.
4. Koi, goldfish, and other pond fish love a water change. Imagine eating your meals in the bathroom. Gross, right? Well, that's exactly what's happening to your fish when there is excess nutrient in your pond that has built up over a year or longer (longer really is deferred maintenance)
5. Pond Cleanouts extend the life of pumps. When we do a pond clean-out, we clean your pump. This discharges debris that has collected and allows your pump to operate more efficiently. Increase the efficiency, decrease wear, increase life.
6. Pond lights may not need replacing, they might just need a good cleaning. Why spend hundreds of dollars replacing pond lights when they are just covered by a year or more of muck? If they do need replacing, now is an excellent time to have them replaced and strategically relocated. Can you imagine a clean pond that is well lit? We can!
7. Leaks can be addressed. If it's been years since you have had your skimmer or biofalls faceplates re-sealed, it could be a point of major water loss! With your pond drained, it gives us a chance to inspect for leaks - potentially saving you huge money!
8. Fish wellness inspection! When was the last time you had a professional in your yard checking on your fish for ulcers, parasites, or other health problems?
9. Metered refill. We meter the refilling process so you know approximately how much water is in your pond. This could affect your fish and pond health as under-dosing is futile, and over-dosing is potentially dangerous when it comes to water treatments.
10. Facelift. When we do a cleanout, we replace fallen rocks to their homes, re-spread out the gravel floor, and hide exposed liner.
Here's what we do:
Annual Cleaning for Ponds, Waterfalls, Fountains, and Water Features.
Columbia Water Gardens will provide the following 14 point service:
1. Drain water feature
2. Set up quarantine for your fish (if applicable)
3. Drain, Rinse & Pond Refill
4. Pond Sludge Rinsing and Draining
5. Pressure wash rocks & gravel from the waterline up
6. Thin out overgrown plants
7. Removal of excess debris and leaves
8. Fish Health Check
9. Water Quality Inspection
10. Lighting Check
11. Pump Maintenance Inspection
12. Pond Filters Cleaning/Inspection
13. Adjust Rocks
14. Metered refill, add water treatments
To learn more about our pond maintenance and cleaning services, please click here.
Please consider the Ion Gen to eliminate string algae and the Automatic Dosing System. These two products combined with proper filtration provide stunning results.
While we are a major provider of products nationwide, we primarily service the following areas in Southern California:
San Bernardino County:
- San Bernardino, Redlands, Yucaipa, Calimesa, Loma Linda, Colton Ca
- Pass and low desert area - Beaumont, Banning, Cabazon, Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta, Cathedral City, Indio, Desert Hot Springs
- South Riverside County: Riverside, Lake Matthews, Perris, Moreno Valley, Hemet, San Jacinto, Romoland, Homeland, Sage, Idyllwild, Pine Cove, Poppet Flats, Anza, Aguanga, Temecula, Murrieta, Menifee, Canyon Lake, Lake Elsinore, and Sun City